Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Running, Part 2


I'm on my second week of running. I don't go everyday, so this actually means that I've run all of four times. Two weeks sounds much more impressive, however.

I talked to two friends about how to get started because I'm a woman who likes a plan. One friend told me that her dad always said to walk a quarter, run a quarter, etc. for two miles. Do this for one week and then drop a quarter of walking each week until you are running the whole thing. The other friend referred me to a great website which recommended walking/running a certain number of minutes until you are only running.

When I set out last week for day number two, I realized that I had made it into town with no watch, so I drove out two miles to get going on the quarter plan. I ran my first quarter and thought there is no way on this side of heaven that I am going to EVER be able to drop a quarter of walking. I was going to be lucky to be able to get back to my car.

This morning, however, on day #4, I ran my first quarter and realized I wasn't dying. I kept going and pushed myself to complete another quarter. The plan was working! By the time I finished that quarter I was throwing myself a party. I had the cake ordered and half the guest list written when I realized something: That wasn't the plan. Dropping the middle quarter of walking meant I was still supposed to be running. Seriously? No way, not if I wanted to be alive to see my kids' next birthdays.

I chose that moment to decide that I'm sure the amount of minutes I had run was EXACTLY the plan that the website would have laid out for me.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

You did it just right! Anytime you can drop a quarter ... without puking ... you are well on your way! I'm so impressed!

Stephanie said...

I'm impressed, too. Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

You're amazing! Even just developing the habit of going is a great starting point, right? :)