Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Ouch

I went running this morning. I haven't been running in...ummm....years. I think high school might have been the last time I attempted this variety of exercise. It didn't take long to remember why.

I decided to drive into town for this new adventure. My country road has too many mosquitoes, dogs without leashes, and enough holes and washboard bumps to guarantee knee surgery within the month. I chose a neighborhood where I didn't know anyone under 70, but there were still enough people around to call 911 in case I collapsed on the street.

My sense of "I'm going to accomplish something today" was high. I thought this was doable because I have friends who run. I think for them this actually means they leave their house, run at least a couple of miles without stopping, and return to their house...in an upright position and breathing fairly normally.

Not me. This morning my brain said, "run!" and my body said, "NO!!". So, I did the run a little bit, walk a little bit, run a little bit, walk a little longer thing. My sense of "I'm going to accomplish something" crashed pretty quickly, but I guess we all have to start somewhere. The muscles in my legs are still rebelling against this new idea of mine.

I had forgotten a few important details about running. Things like it actually matters what kind of socks and shoes you wear, it's better if your hair isn't hanging in your face, and the choice of underwear should not go overlooked. I'll know better for next time, if there is a next time.

The verdict is still out on what I will do when the alarm goes off tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am proud of you. I tried running once and hated it.

Anonymous said...

You're so brave...I think my body would completely go into shock if I tried anything remotely close to running! You should get credit for the effort, right? :) Glad you are home safely from your trip, by the way...maybe we can get together sometime soon. :)