Monday, August 6, 2007

Home Sweet Home

We returned a couple of hours ago from our "vacation." My husband used that word on the way home and we both burst out laughing. I'm not sure why I am even attempting to post anything after surviving the 10 hour car trip, I guess just to prove to myself that I am actually home again. The whole trip really was fairly uneventful, as you will see when reading what qualified as the "highlights" of the weekend.

Here are a few things I/we did while in Illinois:
  • Blew a breaker in the hotel - twice - while trying to dry my hair with the hotel hair dryer. The people next door in the breakfast area were none too pleased.
  • Spent two hours grocery shopping after two days of traveling.
  • Ate a lot of food.
  • Shopped for a new shirt and tie for my 85 year old grandfather at 10:00 p.m. the night before the Anniversary celebration. The only store option: yep, Walmart.
  • Met lots of old people, served lots of cake, and smiled that, "Thank you SO much for coming" smile for many hours.
  • Took family photos with 30+ people - this was a new adventure I had never experienced before. The poor photographer was dripping with sweat by the time he was done with us.
  • Ate a lot more food.
  • Spent two hours trying to put my boys to bed while the rest of the family played cards in the living room.
  • Sang a song at church (with 6 others) with absolutely ZERO minutes of practice time.
  • Enjoyed a leisurely lunch with my husband, cousin, and her new boyfriend, and no children!
  • Decided (the next night) that kids under five really don't need bedtimes. This way I got to get in on the family card playing tradition.
  • Ate even MORE food.
  • Said all the sad goodbyes and jumped in the van for the drive home.

Okay, it may not look like it, but we really did have a good time. However, it is good to be home!

No comments: