Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Farm Mom


The first words out of my child's mouth this morning were "Will you play with me?"

I never thought I would be this way, but that question makes chills go up my spine and my hair stand on end. I can play a game, read books, color, and put together puzzles, but "will you play with me?" means actually getting down on the floor and transforming into whatever car, tractor, combine, or truck my son has picked out for that day. Yuck.

After using all the reasons I could possibly think up without hurting his feelings, I finally gave in.
He was ecstatic as we hooked the disc up to my tractor and the drill up to his. The combine and wheat truck were sitting nearby in case we needed them as well. Not three minutes into playing, this is what I heard:

"Hey, you can't disc yet, the combine hasn't cut the wheat yet!"

"OK, the wheat truck is full, go dump the wheat at the elevator."

"You forgot to plow this part of the field."

"Hey, you can't plow there, I've already planted the wheat there!"

"Mom, you can't drive there, that's where we keep the wheat to fill up my drill."

"No, you just crashed through our shed! Did you forget that's where our shed is??" (Did I mention the shed is invisible?)

Good, quality, connecting time with our children...that's what it's all about. The amazing thing is, when daddy came home for lunch, he still wanted ME to play with him instead of daddy. HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

You are such a great mom!