Saturday, July 21, 2007

Snap, Crackle, Pop

I remember when I was a kid and the "Snap, Crackle, Pop...Rice Krispies" commercials were on ALL the time. I would sit at the table eating my Rice Krispie breakfast with my ear as close to the bowl as possible to hear all the sounds. Sure enough, the cereal actually did make those noises.

Today I walked outside my door and felt like I was in a huge bowl of Rice Krispies. The snap, crackle, pop noises were almost deafening, especially since I wasn't expecting it. I looked up and saw this in my yard:



The picture doesn't do this fire justice. If you look very closely, you can see my crazy husband - he's to the right of the tree on the left. Two thoughts quickly entered my mind.

  1. I instantly remembered that I usually plan to be gone when they burn the field that my house sits in. (Might have helped had I KNOWN they were burning this field this afternoon...)
  2. One more reason to add to my list of why I swore I was never going to marry a farmer (see my very first blog entry).

The view from my back door wasn't much better:

Thankfully the field burned without any calls to the local fire department (which ironically would have meant my husband jumping in his truck, driving to town, jumping on a fire truck, and driving back...).

My son was sad when he woke up and realized they had burned the field while he was sleeping. To cure his sadness, we drove over to the next field to watch them burn that one, and to see if daddy would give him a tractor ride later. As we drove up, we noticed a tractor driving down the middle of the burning field. Sure enough, my husband was inside.

I had a heart attack.

My 4 year old said, "No way, mom, I'm not going on a tractor ride now."

Two fields down, six to go. Then I'll start sleeping again.


2 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks for the laugh! I have a kid that would think riding a tractor through fire was great entertainment-!! Next time call us!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm so far behind, just tried to read through your posts and catch up a little! Hope things are well! Great posts by the way! The boys are growing so fast!!!