Wednesday, July 11, 2007

More about kids...


As I've read in many of my friends' posts, this blogging thing is quickly becoming like a diary of our children. This is obviously because they take up 99% of our time, energy, money, and brain cells. I'm sure one of these days I will actually have something interesting to say about myself, but for now, here is another kid entry.

My friend wrote yesterday about her son turning five years old. As I read her post it made me also look back over the past five years of life. My oldest will be turning five in the fall, and I can't believe the immense changes that take place in a little person in this amount of time. Here are some things he has asked me in the past week that left me a bit tongue-tied.

  • "Mom, why do my cousins have a little brother and a little sister in their family? I know it's hard for you to have babies, but can't we just adopt another one - this time a little sister?"

  • "Mom, if I pray for rain and someone else close to us prays for it not to rain, what will God do?"

  • "Mom, by the time you die, I'll probably be all grown up and can take care of myself, right?"

  • "Mom, God gives everyone the Holy Spirit, right?"

This makes me state again my very strong opinion that there should be at least a four year college program for parenting.

The incredible thing is that no matter how many mistakes I make, or how many strange answers I give for his questions, he still looks to me to meet nearly his every need. I am still the one he calls out to at night, the one who he wants to snuggle with after naps, and the one he comes crying to when he gets hurt. I know I should treasure these days before they are gone.

And just when I think he is growing up too fast, I look ten feet behind me where he and another four year old friend (a girl) are playing with dump trucks, excavators, bulldozers, and loaders that have turned into princes and princesses and are talking about marrying each other. I wonder what that means...

1 comment:

kranberry216 said...

So what are you going to do about the little sister question??