Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Rarely do I blog to/about one specific person, unless he lives in my house and is under the age of 5. Today, however, I am taking a moment to write about my brother.

Last night at 10:15 my phone rang. It was my mom. I thought she was calling to check in on my child who was sick. I had been calling and calling her earlier when my child's fever hit 104.6 and all I got was a busy signal. I immediately harrassed her about it being a really bad day for her to forget her cell phone at work. She said, "You're right. It was a bad day for that. We just found out your brother has been in a car accident." Not quite the words I was expecting to hear.

This was the car he was driving.

Amazingly, he walked away. Eight stitches in his hand, glass everywhere, and a really sore body - but that's it. I'm in awe of this.

I talked to him for awhile this afternoon, and I have to admit, never did it sound so good to hear his voice. After we got off the phone, I started thinking about all of our years growing up together and our relationship since then. Five years difference in age made us not all that close for many years, but adulthood seems to easily overcome that age span.

My brother and I are different in many ways, and because of this he has taught me a lot in life. Some good, some...not so good...but all very valuable in one way or another. Here are some things I learned:

  • Never lie to mom and dad. They had a secret network with all teachers, coaches, employers, and friends' parents. You could never get away with anything.
  • Look beyond someone's choices and love the person, whether or not you agree with what they are doing.
  • Understand other's opinions and don't be quick to stereotype and judge people.
  • Regular size people really can crawl in and out of tiny basement windows (not escape windows).
  • If you leave food under your bed long enough, it will eventually lose all odor and identity.
  • It is easier to follow the rules and get good grades than experience the wrath that occurs when you don't.
  • Waterskiing is a lot harder than it ever looked while watching him do it.
  • It is possible to learn to be completely open, honest, and transparent with people even when you weren't raised that way.
  • Big brothers really do have a handbook entitled 1,000,001 Ways to Torture Your Little Sister.
  • It is possible to wholeheartedly forgive someone even after carrying around years of baggage.
  • It is possible to love someone intensely even when you don't talk to them or see them every day, week, or even month.

So, to my one-and-only sibling, who I am so thankful for, I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!

To everyone else, I hope it doesn't take a "...been in car accident" phone call to take a moment to tell others you care about them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing that your brother is okay. We're praising God with you, in awe of God's protection over him. Praying that he will feel back to 100% soon.

Anonymous said...

Sis, thank you. Your words mean so much to me that it's hard to express. But your friendship means the most. I'm feeling very grateful right now to be alive and healthy. Even more for the wonderful people in my life. Thanks for always being there. I love you.