Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Tales From the Laundry Room

Have you ever been afraid to wash a load of laundry?

Never in my life has this been an intimidating task - until today. Yesterday I innocently threw in a load of laundry to try to keep it from piling up to the ceiling. All was well for the first 14 minutes. Then, as the machine decided it was time to drain the water out, the hose on the wall decided it was time to go on strike. You all know that sound that you dread hearing- the one like the waves of the Pacific rolling onto shore.

I flew into the laundry room, saw the Pacific shooting all over the machine and floor, and gathered my wits about me enough to turn off the washing machine. My next move was what any independent, modern, "woman of the house" kind of woman would do - I raced outside to get my husband. I decided this was not the moment to take on any kind of feministic ideas (not that I typically do anyway...). Of course, my hubby was on the lawn mower clear out by the road. So I "run" down my rocky driveway barefoot shouting for my husband to come here. How I thought he was going to hear me over the very loud riding lawn mower, I'm not sure, but I continued to shout at the top of my lungs anyway.

Finally, we got back inside, grabbed every towel we owned (slight exaggeration) and started to clean up the mess. My loving husband started pulling out the washer and dryer out from against the wall, looked at the nasty junk behind there, and turned to me and said, "Don't you ever clean anything around here?" Thankfully, since he wanted to live to take his next breath, he was kidding. He followed that up with, "why don't I fix this hose so this doesn't happen again?" Ya think?

Needless to say, he saved the day, and the laundry room is in working order. Well, I think so, I haven't actually tried to wash another load yet.

The positive outlook on this situation? If it's been a long time since you've mopped the laundry room and the job is way past due...this is one way to get it done.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm thinking this is the first step in the secret ploy to convince the hubster that you NEED a big front-load washer. Cause i don't think they use as much water, so it wouldn't have been such a mess!

Casey said...

At our house, we would have been REQUIRED to buy a big front-load washer, as I am not sure we would have been able to fix the hose. Either that, or sell the house.

Anonymous said...

Not fun to have this happen, but it makes for a great story! :) I'm sure I don't even WANT to know what is behind my washer with 5 kids in the house! :) Glad you didn't get washed away in the tide from the Pacific waves crashing in!