Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Practical and Productive OR Laidback and Lazy?

I was supposed to be leaving right now for Teacher Convention in Kansas City. I was looking forward to two nights and two days of hanging out with my colleagues, eating good food, and soaking up enough educational creativity to conquer any dilemma I may face in the classroom.


Instead I have a sick husband, an iffy child who can't stop sneezing, and hours of sleep that were robbed mercilessly from me last night. Those three variables were enough to make me put my suitcase back in the closet and stay home.

Who am I kidding, the suitcase never made it out of the closet, but that's beside the point.

Now I have two days staring me in the face with absolutely no plans...other than taking care of my children, of course. So in ALL that spare time that I'm sure I will have, I have a few decisions to make. How might I spend these days?

Practical or Lazy?

I have a 'to do' list longer than any child's wish list for Santa Claus. I could clean out closets, go through the kids' winter clothes, dust, wade through the utility room, update the budget...and on and on it goes. But want I really want to do is waste away the entire two days, because, really, I wasn't going to get anything done anyway while being gone, right? I could sleep in (until my son wakes me up at SEVEN since he doesn't have school), watch movies (kid appropriate? nah...), read a book (and listen to the kids fight in the background), go shopping (with two in tow...).

It's crystal clear to me now. I should have never told grandma about the change in plans.

No comments: