Saturday, October 4, 2008

180

It's so easy to get caught up in the little things - my water issues, the potty training fiascoes, my kids' latest terrible behavior, or how dirty the house is...


...and then something happens that makes me do a 180. It's amazing how one quick event can restructure my way of thinking and make me once again remember not to "sweat the small stuff." Cause it really is small stuff.

Friday night my husband came home from the fields and told me that he had just had his 2nd near-death experience (first one happened in 5th grade with a four wheeler). The story goes something like this: His dad was backing the wheat truck into the shed while my husband was watching so he wouldn't hit the mirrors. Apparently, one of the mirrors was in danger of decapitation, so DH instructed his father to pull forward a little bit. A "little bit" is somewhat of a relative term when it comes to large, old farm equipment. This "little bit" turned in to a significant lurch forward, somewhat like me learning to drive a stick shift. This, combined with a sloping floor, resulted in my husband being pinned at both his head and chest between the wheat truck and the metal shed doors.

Miraculously, he is okay. He has a scrape on one side of his head, a bump on the other, a cut on his ear, and a very sore chest. Sometimes we wonder if he cracked a rib, but really, for the most part, he is fine. Amazing. Even my DH, who is typically an "it's no big deal" kind of guy, admitted that he was within inches or less of being severely injured or killed.

So I'm thanking God I have a husband, and trying not to sweat the small stuff. It all pales in comparison to what might have been.

No comments: