Monday, September 17, 2007

The Power of an Email

This has not been a great day. I was pretty sure that my blog was going to be something sarcastic about how my younger child screamed for almost an hour before going to sleep (which he hardly ever does) or how my older child had a meltdown because he couldn't find his precious "hand" blanket (which is so worn out the handprints have long ago washed off). By 2:00 this afternoon I was seething with so much anger it was almost starting to scare me. You name it, I was mad about it: how I worked my butt off cleaning the house and it never stays clean; how I was going crazy today staying at home, but feeling too guilty to think about taking my kids to a babysitter; how I couldn't even fit in time to sweep the kitchen floor, blah, blah, blah.

Then I opened my email. Have you ever been knocked flat by an email? Today I was. The actual email was, of course, cute with little baby pictures by each of these quotes, but you'll still get the idea. Here is some of what it said:

I believe...that our background and circumstances may have shaped who we are, but we are responsible for who we become.

I believe...that no matter how good a friend is, they are going to hurt you once in a while, and you must forgive them for that.

I believe...that just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

I believe...that it's taking me a long time to become the person I want to be.

I believe...that you should always leave loved ones with loving words. It may be the last time you see them.

I believe...that money is a lousy way to keep score.

and the big one for me today...

I believe...that you control your attitude or it will control you.

Ouch.

At 2:00 when I was seething with anger, I was working on my Bible study lesson. Yes, it was a fine state of mind to be in for that task. I prayed that there would be something for me in the lesson, or that God would just miraculously fix my bad attitude.

Today He didn't speak to me in Ephesians, instead He chose email.

2 comments:

k said...

great post!

Stephanie said...

I hope your cup is overflowing today!