Sunday, September 9, 2007

Farm Wife 101

Today about 4:30 my husband went out to mow the "farm." This doesn't mean our yard, this means the acreage way back behind our house that belongs to my husband's father. It is where the shed is located and where all the farm implements, grain bins, etc. are stored. He mows it because his father recently bought a nice riding lawn mower that he lets us use any time we want it. In return, my husband mows this acreage for his dad. Adjacent to this land is pastureland that his father conveniently rents out to another farmer - which means that about 4 months out of the year we are blessed with neighbors...the kind that moo.

This evening my husband came flying into the house at full speed.

Him: "Where's the cell phone? I need it now!"

Me: "I don't know. Why do you need it?"

Him: "I just do! What is dad's cell number?"

I should know after 10 years that this is not the time to ask questions, but for some reason, that is still what immediately flies out of my mouth.

I found the cell phone and watched him take off out the back door and head toward the pond. I knew whatever had happened wasn't good because he was calling his parents -- who are currently in Kentucky on a 10 day vacation. I could tell he wasn't getting a hold of anyone on the phone, but I couldn't go anywhere to investigate what was going on because my son was still taking a nap.

Fifteen minutes later the phone rang. It was my husband.

Him: "Do you have any phone #'s of where mom and dad are at?"

Me: "No, but maybe your sister does."

Him: "I have nothing to write with out here. Can you drive out here to the pond and bring me some paper and a pen? I might need your help."

Of course I load up the paper, pen, and 18 month old (big brother had asked to go to grandma's for the afternoon) for a short jaunt out back, wondering the entire time how I am going to be of any help with the little tyke along for the show. And do I even know yet what has happened? NO!

When I got to the pond, my husband showed me what had happened. He had somehow mowed down the fence - the electric fence. Thank goodness for rubber tires on the lawn mower. And what did he need my help for? Cow patrol. Yep, he wanted me there to make sure the cows didn't get out. I know you are all insanely jealous right now.

I am sure that somewhere in our lengthy relationship I have told my husband about how my dad used to drag my brother and me to my uncle's pasture to cut wood every fall. His pasture was full of cows. Cows that terrified me so much that I wouldn't get out of the back of the truck if they were anywhere in my visual path.

But in spite of this, here I was 20 years later, sitting on the lawnmower with my 18 month old son, making sure the cows didn't get out while my husband fixed the fence. I'm living the dream life.

The good news -- the cows are safe and the fence is fixed. At least we think so...how does one really know the electric fence is fixed without touching it?

I guess if the cows are sleeping on my porch in the morning, I'll get to take part in Farm Wife 102.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't usually comment to my own wifes blog, but this time I must. First of all, mowing down the fence is putting it a little strong. Secondly, If I truely put her on Cow patrol duty, and the cows would have come near her, I guarantee you that the cows would win.

Stephanie said...

I guess that's why you skipped out on the church picnic!
Mooo!

Rhonda said...

OK, he's declared war! I think that electric fence wire coming out of the back of the lawnmower AND wrapped around the blades under the front deck consists of "mowing down the fence."

However, I have to admit, had the cows come any closer, I mmaaayyyy have let them win.

Jamie said...

This is better than comedy central!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny Sis! Definitely never thought I'd find you rustling cattle.