Monday, May 19, 2008

One Of Those Days

It all started with an innocent conversation at lunch about going camping. Which led to talking about the new tent we were given for Christmas. Which led to thousands of questions from our analytical/logical/concrete thinker 5 year old. Which led to daddy saying we could set up the tent that evening in the basement and sleep in it. The whole family.

I knew that would throw a bit of a wrench in the restful Sunday I had planned, but I didn't fight it. Right after daddy and son made a quick trip to pick up our fencing materials that had come in at Lowe's, they could come home, set up the tent, watch Extreme Makeover with me, and picnic in front of the TV for dinner.

But the truck was "deader than a doornail" as my son put it, which caused a late start.
And most of the fencing they had special ordered for us had been ordered wrong.
And they had ONE post in stock. We needed 18 more.
And the brackets were too long.
And the concrete prices all changed.
And the vacation days planned for the 5-day-weekend of fence building are shot.
And now the fencing will be here just in time for....harvest.

Four-and-a-half hours later they returned from the "quick trip to Lowe's, just in time for the kids to torment each other through the entire 2 hour Season Finale.

Then the tent came out. And went up.

And two hours past bedtime, the boys laid down and finally went to sleep. The parents, however, realized that the water system is quite loud downstairs, the tent is noisy when the 2 year old keeps kicking it in his sleep, the five year old sneezes and laughs in his sleep, and the 2 year old snores really loud.

And then at 3:00 a.m. the fire pager went off. As my husband flew up the stairs, I thought to myself that the pager beeps sounded different than normal, but I just ignored it. Twenty minutes later I went upstairs to go to the bathroom and saw my husband laying in our bed. WHAT???

Being the sweet wife that I am, I didn't bother him to ask him about it, but instead went back down with the boys so I could lay awake until 5:00 a.m.

This morning, while administering caffeine injections, I found out that he thought he turned his pager to vibrate last night, but instead turned it to the channel that receives all the calls for the entire county. Oops.

Yeah right, oops. He spent half the night in a BED!

1 comment:

kranberry216 said...

At least there were no ticks, waves, wind or mud - that's my kind of camping! And remember that Moo-lattes are excellent sources of energy for little ones.