Thursday, May 1, 2008

Black Thumb


It is no secret that I have a terrible black thumb. The joke in our family is that my husband and I will kill even plastic plants. We don't garden, we don't have plants in the house (or outside for that matter), and we have absolutely no landscaping out front. My husband did plant some kind of evergreen type of tree along the road and along the back of our property, but only because they are the kind that could practically grow in the Sahara.

Lately, however, I have been inundated with flowers. My son brought his sunflower home from preschool, we all received flowers at MOPS to plant; and of course, out of 60 women in the room, I was the one who won the centerpiece flower arrangement to take home. If they only knew.

All of this made me think that maybe I should start putting together a plan for a bit of landscaping - or at least a nice flowerbed. But considering I don't have the first clue of what to do, that never happened.

Then this morning my friend came to pick up my son for preschool. Two little girls hopped out of the van (the two girls I babysit twice a week), one with pink flowers and one with purple. They came up to the house with the cutest smiles saying, "Happy May Day!" They had each picked out their favorite colors for me and were so proud to make their delivery.

So, now it's official. I have to figure out what I'm doing! The flowers are too pretty and my girls are too sweet to let them die on the kitchen counter (the flowers, not the girls). I read the back of the flower card and it is all greek to me. Mounded...Zones...Deadheading....What? The only thing I understood was how far to space them apart - that's how my brain works, in numbers. Do I have to plant them right away? And where is the best spot? Do I dig up an area in front of my porch or do I buy something to plant them in to sit on my porch? Somebody help me. I don't care that you're all laughing at me.

Here's my favorite part of the back of the card:

CARE: Easy

Now that's funny.

2 comments:

Casey said...

I have a black thumb, too, but petunias are easy. Plant them in a sunny spot. Water them regularly. Deadheading means pulling off the flowers when the've faded. Supposedly it allows the plant to make more blooms. They do well in pots, too.

kristina daharsh said...

not only are petunias easy to care for but also tulips and lilies or even roses!! and they all come in an awesome arrange of colors!!

working with a landscaping business last summer i really grew to love the oriental lilies and the knock out roses!!! they bloom multiple times and have awesome colors!! and all you have to do to them pretty much is lobe them when the cluster is dead.