Thursday, May 22, 2008

Frustration

Warning: This post contains information relevant to no one but the author. Reading may produce extreme fatigue, lethargy, or periods of extended slumber.

Somewhere out there is a bigwig superintendent sitting in his cushy office laughing at me. And he is shouting out loud, "I TOLD YOU SO." Eleven years ago this April I began interviewing for teaching positions. I had my first interview at an area public school. A few days later I had an interview set up at an area private school. I had no public/private opinions or agendas, I was just an innocent would-be graduate looking for a job. The day before my private school interview, I got offered the job at the public school. They graciously allowed me to wait until after my next interview to give them an answer.


During my private school interview with the entire Board of Education, I was asked if I was willing to give up twice the pay and come work for them. The word "yes" flew out of my mouth before I even knew what was happening. I almost said, "Did I say that out loud?" It was a God thing - it had to be. Or it was a nervous, young, green female not in control of her own mouth. I'm going with the God thing.

I called the public school and told them I accepted another job. The guy asked where, so I told him. He did everything he could to hold back his complete disgust, but let me know in no uncertain terms that I had made the wrong decision. He said I would lose benefits, huge retirement (KAPERS) bonuses, and the stigma of working in a state-accredited school. His attitude confirmed to me that I had made the right decision, and off I went merrily along my teaching way.

I have never for one moment regretted my decision. I knew then and still know it was the right thing, in spite of the financial hit and all those other things that superintendent so sweetly told me about.

But the man was right about one thing...the state-accredited school part. I could care less about the stigma, but the accreditation deal is causing me extreme frustration at the moment. I have two career goals running around in my mind, and both require a Master's Degree. I'm good with that. I'm ready to find a good program, jump in, and get the degree I need and want. But good programs want state-accredited experience. Imagine that.


The really frustrating part is that I have that experience, it just doesn't count. The school I taught at was accredited 5 years ago by a legit accrediting agency, but the state board of education didn't decide it was legit until 2005. Now they do. Which is great. But.way.too.late.


Nine years of teaching. Three years of "accredited" teaching. But only one year counts in the eyes of the state. Which means I cannot get in to any Master's program that I want to. Not that I can't get into ANY Master's program, just not the ones that offer exactly what I was looking for. To do that, I would have to complete a second year of state-accredited experience, and be at least in my third before I start. That throws off my plan completely, which I admit is difficult for my brain to handle. I'm a plan kind of girl.

Now I'm back to the drawing board. More prayer. More research. More planning. I'll keep you posted. I know the suspense is killing you.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Awww, crud. That is NOT good news. So, so sorry.