Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Therapy

For those who read my last entry, you may remember that I mentioned our new carpet had been in the basement exactly 36 days (39 now, but who's counting...). Well, kid poop on the carpet just isn't seeming so bad right now.

My non-blogging friends sometimes ask me why I blog, why I waste the time, etc. I often tell them that it is a bit like therapy for me. Events happen in my life that seem incredibly frustrating (like my son doing his duty on the new carpet), but when I sit down to write about it, I'm usually laughing - or at least smiling - about it by the end. Sometimes it gives me a new perspective, or just some friends to sympathize with. Whatever the result, I usually feel better. That said, I'm counting on this phenomenon to occur again today.

Yesterday morning I went downstairs first thing to check my email. As I sat down at the computer I noticed the floor (the unfinished part) looked darker than usual. As I walked that way, my feet starting going squish in the carpet. Bad sign.

We discovered our sump pump had quit working. This wouldn't be a problem in a normal household. It hasn't even rained for days. Our problem is our water system - our big, obnoxious water system. It recycles every few nights and then drains out into the sump pump. If the sump pump decides to go on strike, it drains out all over the basement floor.

Enter lots of towels and the wet vac. Exit lots of wet, soggy cardboard boxes and the wet pad that was once under my newly laid carpet. Enter several fans and the dehumidifier. Exit the use of my new family room for the next three weeks.

OK, I'm still not laughing about the situation, so let's try perspective. I still have a roof over my head, two healthy & happy kids, one healthy and....um...trying-to-be-happy husband, and food to feed my family.

I'll keep telling myself this as toys line the living room once again and we are all crammed back in the upstairs.

Lots of togetherness. It will be great.

No comments: