Monday, October 1, 2007

Happy (and some not-so) Moments


I don't usually enjoy reading blogs that give a play by play of regular, everyday life; you know, the kind that go like this, "I just returned from taking my daughter to preschool and now I think I'll dig out some pledge and dust the 16 shelves in my living room...". But, today I'm writing one a bit like that. Hopefully not quite that bad, but similar.

Nothing hilarious has happened, nothing horrible has happened, nothing even totally aggravating has happened to me in the past three days, so I will share some happy moments that I've had since I blogged last.

I had the privilege of helping some friends move on Saturday. They bought a house on the edge of town after years of renting. They were so excited to move into their own place, complete with a toy room and 4 acres of land to play on. It was fun to be part of their special day.

After the moving expedition, I got two solid hours of cleaning time without any kids trailing me around destroying everything I just did. They were taking naps at grandma's. Ahhh...it was wonderful.


I will refrain from griping about the fact that on Saturday evening our very expensive, stupid water treatment machines in the basement spewed water all over the storage room floor; therefore, causing my husband to spend three hours in the basement cleaning up the mess while I corralled the kids upstairs. That would be when the children destroyed all the cleaning I did. Oh man, I guess I can't refrain from griping about it.


On Sunday, one child went to a birthday party and the other child went to grandma's house to nap again so my husband and I could go shopping for a few glorious hours. We did some birthday shopping for our son, camcorder shopping for us, and also bought primer for our basement. Even better than primer was that I started collecting paint samples. Now I have to start dreaming - and stressing - about what color to paint the family room and bedroom down there. Any advice on color? I'm terrible at that.


Today my freshman year college roommate came over with three of her six children. She is a saint. They have adopted all of their kids, who ranged from 9 months to 10 years of age at the time of each adoption. Now they are 6, 12, 15, 16, 17, and 19. And the amazing news is they are opening their home to more children if God so chooses to bring more to them. They have a special calling. It was great to visit with her.


Tonight I went back for a little more shopping - with my mother-in-law this time - and actually bought a camcorder for us. We figured that with a child's birthday in October, a trip to England in November, Christmas in December, and another child's birthday in February...now might be a good time to replace the archaic memory keeper (it's too old to even be called a camcorder) that does not work any longer. There is a good chunk of our sons' lives missing due to this problem.

Now I am happily sitting in front of my computer waiting for my husband to return from the fields. You know he's been on the tractor a lot when I start to get jealous of the farm machinery.

Never thought I'd say that in my lifetime.

Thus ends the excitement (or lack thereof) of my life!

No comments: