Thursday, September 25, 2008

Glazed Over

I'm currently sitting at the kitchen table observing my surroundings. The sink is overflowing with dishes. The dust on the piano is thick. I may have to take a putty knife to the hardwood floor to get all the junk off. There are toys all over the living room. Who wanted an open floor plan anyway?? I can see way too much nastiness all at once. I'm secretly desiring to put my house on the market just so it will end up being clean.

Beside me sits a pile of lesson plans, grading, and stacks of books for tomorrow. Tonight we are helping my sister-in-law move. My oldest son is chasing my youngest son around the house with a power drill (toy, of course). And here I am completely glazed over staring at my computer.

STRESS. I've brought a little more on myself this year than I had originally intended. I'm the first to admit, a lot of it is my fault. I'm teaching the Life of Christ in Bible, and today we studied the Christmas story. So, in order to set the mood a bit (since it's SEPTEMBER), what do I decide to do? Spend an entire afternoon baking Christmas cookies for the class. This morning while getting ready, I decided it would be fun to teach like terms in algebra today with skittles and manipulatives. I do weird stuff like this because I hate boring class times as much as the students. I wish I could just open the book and assign homework.

Here is the most annoying thing about stress. When I'm stressed, I eat. Then I get stressed because I'm gaining weight. Then I hate the way I look and my clothes are tight and...I just want to eat. How does one break THAT cycle?

But I digress. From what? - I'm not exactly sure. Hence the title: glazed over. All I know is I have about 24 hours of preparation needed for an in-service that starts in 19 hours.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Two things come to mind:
1. I would love to come and help you clean. Do you have DQ blizzards at your house?
2. What I wouldn't give to eat a yummy little Christmas Tree or Christmas Star. Please - have another one for me.

Jamie said...

I can help you clean too! You say the word and I'm there.