Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy 36th!


My husband turns 36 today. He prefers 26, but since we can't turn back the hands of time, here are 36 of my favorite things about him. Keep in mind, I didn't say THE 36 favorite things. I'm sure I left something really important off of here without intending too, and quite honestly, the toilet seat probably shouldn't make the top 36. Obviously, in no specific order (again...the toilet seat....):

1. I never have to wonder what you are really thinking.
2. You are 100% honest - ALWAYS.
3. You never leave the toilet seat up.
4. Your passion for helping others through firefighting and EMS work is inspiring.
5. You don't mind going shopping.
6. You always carry the shopping bags.
7. You are willing to teach kid's Sunday School.
8. You are a very good money manager.
8 1/2. Sometimes TOO good, but if you threw money away, it would drive me crazy, so your over-practical ways can still make the list.
9. When you made a commitment to me, it was for LIFE, and I never have to question that.
10. Even though you tend to be on the quiet side, you are always willing to talk to me about anything.
11. You will clean up kid vomit. And probably big people vomit, but hopefully you will be getting paid to do it if that occurs.
12. You are a great combination of the practical, logical engineer and the adrenaline junkie, crazy firefighter.
13. You are great at trimming the ceilings and corners of nasty paint jobs.
14. You want to serve the Lord in all you do.
15. You love to camp, waterski, tube, and ride the jetski.
16. You are ok with letting me have girl nights and girl weekends.
17. I never have to wonder if the kids are being well-taken care of when I'm gone.
18. You go skiing with your college friends every year so I don't have to feel so guilty about taking girl weekends. I am sure this is the only reason you go.
19. You love sports, but don't let them run your life.
20. You are willing to watch chick flicks whenever I ask you to.
21. You are sad when you can't give your child the gift he wants the most.
21 1/2. Which is kind of funny since you don't really care about birthdays.
22. You don't mind when I don't cook.
23. You will take your turn cooking and do it better than me (I'm happy to hand over that responsibility at any time).
24. You will take the kids on the amusement park rides that make me want to puke.
25. Not much scares you or grosses you out, which means you take care of all the things that scare me and gross me out (heights, blood, a clogged drain...to name a few).
25 1/2. Although, if you would develop even a small fear of heights, maybe you would stop volunteering to go to the highest parts of burning houses, grain elevators, and humongous churches to change the light bulbs while five measly men hold ropes to hold your ladder up. You should work on that.
26. If we are together, you always put the fuel in the car, even in freezing cold temps.
27. You will play games with your kids even when you really don't want to.
28. You still like to spend time with me.
29. You support me working or me staying home, or some weird combination of the two.
30. You grieved our miscarriages and infertility issues just as much as I did.
31. You finally caved and got a cell phone. By next year at this time maybe you will actually be texting.
32. You put your best into every project you work on.
33. You like that I scrapbook and blog, even though it takes up extra time.
34. You don't like Chinese food.
35. You are able to look past the exterior of a person and really see their heart.
36. You are still smiling even though you don't like it when I blog about you!

Happy Birthday!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

That was a really sweet post! Wow...I think you really love this man!

Brandon said...

That was sweet, Rhonda. But I have to ask... Why would Shawn see the need to change the light bulbs in burning houses, grain elevators, and humongous churches?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHAWN!

-Brandon

Rhonda said...

Picky, picky, picky! You know what I meant, Brandon! :) So much for being a teacher...

Stephanie said...

I loved this, Rhonda. What a testiment of love.

kranberry216 said...

He's a pretty awesome guy. He deserves all the praises. Please tell him Happy Birthday from us!