Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Same Song, Second (or Third...or Fourth...) Verse

It's swimming lesson time again. When my oldest son was 2, we put him in a "floaters" class at the local pool. He did fine - as long as the lifeguard was holding him. When he was 3, we did private lessons. He did fine - as long as he didn't have to put his face in the water, blow bubbles, or anything that may result in getting wet above his chest. His fabulous swim teacher moved away, so when he was 4 we tried the local public pool. He did....well, he cried a lot and baffled his 14 year old lifeguard teachers. After three days I pulled him. A very gracious person offered to give him private lessons once again. He cried a lot once again.

This year I was fortunate enough to get him into a great program at an indoor pool here in town. We talked it up, he was ready, even relatively excited...until yesterday hit with a fury of rain, thunder, and lightening. The first day of swimming lessons consisted of him standing off to the side of the group sobbing because "I saw lightening, I know I did!"

Day two of lessons dawned bright and sunny, because the good Lord knew I could only take so much. Miraculously, my son also had a good attitude about lessons today because it wasn't storming. The kids marched into the water and started bobbing up and down and blowing bubbles.

It wasn't long before I confirmed what I already suspected: I have a special needs swimmer. I'm a special ed teacher, so no slam whatsoever intended by that comment. I fully understand when kids need to be taught in a smaller group, different way, or whatever it takes to help them learn. That's my kiddo. While the rest of the class moved on to new things, a helper pulled him aside and worked with him one-on-one for the rest of the time, just trying to get him past the first two requirements. I don't think they were successful, but I still deemed today a success.

The reason? I'm pretty sure today was the first real swimming lesson he has ever had where he didn't shed a tear.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Someday very soon this will all be so worth it!