Monday, June 30, 2008

Birthday, Part 2

A week ago Friday I turned 33. I'm still in a bit of a shock as to how that number could climb so high so quickly, but I still looked forward to the day. It was my precious day off. A day free of preparing meals, changing diapers, wiping up spills, entertaining children, and folding laundry. It also became the day that harvest started. Which brought my day off to a screeching halt.

That evening I went to the fields to see how things were going. My husband gave me an "I'm so sorry" look and immediately said, "This doesn't count as your birthday. I'm going to give you a new one."

He immediately won the husband of the year award.

Saturday was my new birthday. He cooked all the meals, cleaned up the kitchen, swept the floor, folded the laundry, and took care of the kids. I actually felt a little guilty getting up from the table and watching him do all the work while I continued with whatever leisure activity I was enjoying. But not guilty enough to do anything about it.

It truly was the best gift I could have received.

At the end of the day he looked at me wearily and said, "It sure would have been a whole lot easier to go to the store and pick out a present for you."

1 comment:

kranberry216 said...

So you actually got a day and a half, since the morning of your birthday was pre-harvest! Wow, what a deal!! I'm glad you got your full day of leisure. I know
"older" people like you need more rest than you used to. Hee, hee.