Monday, December 3, 2012

This Thing Called Parenting




Just for the record, those are not my kids.

But tonight I was really wishing for that cage.

I'm still a bit mystified how it takes 4+ years and a bundle of money for a person to get a college degree, but nearly anyone can choose to be a parent on a whim.

OK, technically, it took us 4+ years and a bundle of money to become parents, too....but that is completely not the point.

The point is, there really should be some kind of lengthy, strict education for this thing called parenting.  That education should be full of all the typical "schoolly" things -- case studies, research, assessments...the whole nine yards.

Then maybe I would know how to react to this --

Tonight my 6 year old struggled to listen.  He wanted to look at books instead of brush his teeth, he wanted to play with toys instead of get his pajamas on, he wanted to watch TV instead of settle into bed. 

Right before crawling into bed he asked if he could read for a little bit for Book-it.  I said yes, just for a little bit.

Two minutes later I walk by his room and he was writing on paper.  I calmly (in comparison to shouting -- it's all relative) asked him what he was doing and reminded him that he had asked to READ.

He told me he was writing a song.

I told him to put it away and READ.

He asked me if he could finish writing the words, "the sun". 

I said yes he could write THOSE 2 WORDS and then he should READ.

Five minutes later I checked on him again. (Yes, I realize I should have stayed right there, watched the two words, pried the paper from his hands, and given him a book.)

I calmly (remember, it's relative) asked him what in the world he was doing.

He proudly handed me his song.

Oh I love you Lorb mor
then the sun and the moon
and the stars oh hou I Love you
mor then the su and t moon and
the stars oh hou I Love you Lord
mor than the sun oh hou I Love you
and the trees and things like
that I Lov you Lord!

Do you think it is possible that he sneakily wrote a song like this because he knew he was not obeying me the entire time?

Never will I know.

I told him the song was beautiful.  I also told him that he still made a poor choice by not listening to me.  Then I told him that he needed to go to sleep.

To which he promptly replied, "Can I read for Book-it now?"

{Sigh.}

No comments: