Sunday, December 2, 2012

December

It's DECEMBER.

Seriously...when did that happen??

I have Christmas letters to write, gifts to wrap, gifts to buy, advent activities to make, cards to send out, and the list goes on.

And to be honest, I love it all.  It may be busy, but Christmas is one of my favorite times of year. 

Five years ago (when I wasn't working full time or taking classes), I started the tradition (calling it a "tradition" was my first mistake - now they want it every year) of making an advent chain for the boys (yes, I was trying to be supermom).  They loved it (go me!), but after about day five, I began to regret my decision (climbing down the supermom ladder).  I planned things like reindeer cupcakes (click here), gingerbread houses and puzzle cookies (click here).  Cute, right?  Only my boys don't always see the need for sticking with it to help with all the details (must be a male thing?).  End result: Frustration.

Five years later, and I am older and wiser.  We still have some cooking adventures, but I only put their favorites on the list, like dipping pretzels and oreos, frosted Christmas cookies, and baking day with friends.  I have replaced reindeer cupcakes with a date with mom for smoothies at The Well, and gingerbread houses for a surprise Sonic run for supper some evening. 

I have also been looking for ideas that don't cost anything extra.  I sat down yesterday with my little friend Google and started searching for ideas. 

I hit the Jackpot here.

This site was just what I needed to fill in the empty spots on my chain.  Now I have some fun things which don't cost a lot and which take very little prep time.

Like...
  • Backwards Dinner
  • Indoor overnight fort/campout
  • Family game night
  • Kid's Choice
  • Give day
  • Treasure hunt dinner
  • Food bank day
  • Wrap presents as a family
  • Impromptu donut run
Add those to my typical favorites, and I am all set!  Bring on the holidays!

No comments: