Sunday, December 23, 2012

Hello from Our Little World of Germs

Oh blogosphere, how I have missed thee...

I had very high hopes to get back to this little corner of my world during Christmas break. 

Instead, my Christmas break started with a fever.

Aches.
Chills.
A sore throat.
And a cough that won't quit.

Today is day four of this journey of sickness for myself and my six year old, and let's just say I am done.  Or...it may be more accurate to say I WISH I was done.

I have learned/been reminded of a few things about myself and my family the past few days. 

1.  I am a wimpy sick person.  Technically, I have always known this, but it has been so long since I have been sick that I may have temporarily forgotten.  I always aspired to be the mom who could keep the house running while sick, but I think it is safe to say that I did not accomplish that this time around.

2.  My husband is wonderful.  He graciously took a day off of work without me asking him to and took over all household duties in my absence. I'm pretty sure he has cooked more meals in the past four days than I have in the past four weeks. I still have the deep cleaning to attend to once I am up and going (we have company arriving this week), but he has been holding down the fort quite well.

3.  My little guy has an even sweeter disposition when he is sick.  I have no idea why, but he says please and thank you more than normal, which seems odd to me.  However, when he sneezes, everyone within a ten mile radius should take cover for fear of what might come flying their way. 

4.  Apparently his honesty factor cranks up a notch when he is sick as well.  This morning he told his daddy that the coffee cake he made for breakfast tasted like hair. 

{Blank stare.}

Hair?

5.  One other little note about sick little 6 year olds....do not let them watch the cartoon version of "A Christmas Carol" before bed.  They will wake up at 11:30 p.m. hoarsely crying, with snot bubbles coming out of their nose, proclaiming that they "did not like what they watched on TV with mommy".  Tired fathers love dealing with this on top of everything else. 

Speaking of tired...I've been semi-propped up for an hour now...so it's back to bed for me.

Here's wishing you a germ-free Christmas. :)

No comments: