Saturday, July 7, 2012

Days 7 and 8

This post may need several disclaimers.

Such as...

*PICTURE OVERLOAD*
*EXTREME EXHAUSTION*
and....*I'M NOT EVEN SURE WHAT DAY IT IS ANYMORE*

Yesterday we headed to the coast.

Gorgeous.


A video of this little guy's reaction would have been even better.  He kinda, sorta liked the ocean.


He would walk in as far as we would let him (translation: until someone would grab him and steady his balance to keep him from being pulled under), and then he would run away from the waves to avoid getting wet. 

This was an interesting concept due to the fact that he was wet up to his chest about 2 minutes after this picture was taken.

I am pretty sure he would have done this all day if we would have let him.


The big guy preferred rock climbing.  It is quite possible that it is a good thing that I was not present for this event.  I got the privilege of laying on the beach to "guard" our stuff while the boys went exploring.  I was none to sad about that responsibility.


After beach #1, we headed to a 1/2 mile hike to beach #2 - Smuggler's Cove.  It was amazing as well, but I am limiting uploading more pictures for the sake of sanity for everyone involved.


And then to beach #3 - Cape Kiwanda - a gorgeous beach with huge sand dunes.  We stopped for dinner across the road from the beach.  Some guy in the restaurant saw my oldest son looking across at this ginormous sand dune.  He said, "Betcha can't make it to the top."

That's all it took.  My son could not wait to finish eating to make his dad climb this sand dune with him.


There they are about 2/3 of the way to the top (husband is standing with a black jacket; son is sitting for a quick rest).


My brother and I set off to fulfill my little guy's lifelong dream of seeing a real starfish. 

We managed that pretty easily....about 4 times over.


After the starfish were found, the little one wanted to go to the top of the sand dune.  That, of course, made me all kinds of nervous.  I kept picturing a roly poly child careening down the dune at lightening speed.

Thankfully, he didn't.  They watched the sun set from the very top of the dune.


They were so enthralled with the beach that they begged to bring home some Oregon sand.  This ziploc bag idea worked great until we discovered this morning that there was a stick in the bag.  Ziploc really should have a disclaimer on the box about putting sticks inside the bags.  Turns out sticks will poke holes.  I have a trunkful of sand to prove it.


 

Today we headed to downtown Portland once again.  We had a fabulous lunch with my brother's mom and step-dad, took in some great glow-in-the-dark mini golf, and then headed to VooDoo Doughnuts.  The sign was a bit creepy.


Apparently this place has been featured in all kinds of magazines and on the Food Network.


Looks like people pay attention to the media.  This is the line of people waiting to get doughnuts! 

Seriously, I have never seen such crazy doughnut creations.  Oreo cookie doughnuts, bubble gum doughnuts, doughnuts with cereal on top.  You name it, they have it, even a Maple Bacon Doughnut.  It literally had 2 slices of bacon on the top.  I am kicking myself for not taking a picture of that one.

Yes, some unnamed person in our group actually ate that.

And LIKED it.

Ick.

The boys loved theirs as well.


After that...Children's Museum.


The little guy spent a great deal of time in the Clay Workshop making this creation.  He was so proud of it, we had to take it with us.  It is currently sitting a few feet away from me in the hotel room.  I am having visions of extreme crying fits and tantrums as we unsuccessfully attempt to travel thousands of miles back home with this.


And finally today...dinner on the water.  My folks told my brother that they would pay for a meal out for all of us sometime during the trip.  This floating restaurant was a special treat! 



Beautiful weather, an amazing view, and wonderful food made this a perfect end to the evening.  Having our parents cover the bill was icing on the cake!

No comments: