Sunday, July 15, 2012

"40" Revisited


Once I returned from our vacation, I realized that I let my birthday come and go this year without revisiting my "40 before 40" list. 

I am two years into this little project, and NOT.EVEN.CLOSE to 2/5 of the way complete.  I am going to blame this on the fact that last summer I went back to work full time and I started my master's degree.  Every time I say those words out loud (or type them on the computer) I realize how incredibly dumb that decision sounds. 

I won't deny it....it probably wasn't the best choice I have ever made to do both of those big changes at the same time.  However, I am now over half-way through, and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.  I am hoping that soon I will look back and be able to say "that wasn't so bad".  No guarantees on that one.

Time to see where I am at on the infamous list....

1. Catch up on my kids' scrapbooks. {Last year I said I made progress.  This year that same comment would make me a liar.  Funny how every time I think I am catching up, those crazy kids just seem to keep getting older.}

2. Exercise faithfully. No more four weeks on, three weeks off. There is a reason no one markets that routine. {Yeah....nope.  Remember that 'working full time and getting my master's' thing?}

3. Go on vacation for an entire week with just my immediate family, and not because work sent us. {Ah hah - DONE!}

4. Read 5 classics recommended by my classic literature fanatic friend. {Shoot, now I have to read more than one per year.}

5. Go snow skiing for the 2nd time. The first time was okay, but everyone says you have to go a second time to really enjoy it. {Negative.}

6. Take my children to a professional football or baseball game. {DONE. Colorado Rockies vs. Chicago Cubs - July 2010.}

7. Visit at least half of the States. So far I think I've only been to 15. {I really, really thought our trip would knock this one out.  Turns out now I have been to 24 states, and that is only if you include Georgia since we landed in Atlanta on our way to England a few years ago.  I knew I should have made my husband take the long route and drive through the corner of Nevada last week....}

8. Develop and keep up a habit of drinking 6-8 glasses of water each day. {Not even close.}

9. Landscape - or better yet, hire someone - to landscape our front yard. {Instead, last summer's heat pretty much killed the whole thing off.  This summer isn't helping either.}

10. Begin and maintain a well-tended garden. {DONE!! Well-tended is relative.  We've had a garden for 2 years now, so I'm gonna call this one good.}

11. Go through the entire house, basement included, room by room, throw out junk, and organize everything. {Ha ha ha ha ha....}

12. Go to the Mall of America. {On the way home from Oregon, my boys were planning our next big vacation.  They want to go northeast next time and see what is the other direction.  We may have to venture to the mall on the way!}

13. Complete a family scrapbook - One that my husband and I actually appear in. {See note on #1.}

14. Read the Bible through in a year. I started this year, but at the rate I am going, I may hit the New Testament in 5 years.  {Did not even make this a goal this year, but at least I am in a great Bible study right now!}

15. See the Grand Canyon. {I am a little nervous that this one won't happen in the next three years considering the direction the rest of the family wants to travel next time.}

16. Get my Master's Degree. {Three classes and field experience left.}

17. Repaint all the walls in my house. {See post in near future about this little issue.}

18. Remember my friends' and family members' birthdays by sending cards, calling, or at least sending emails. {Not bad this year. If I'm desperate, I could say DONE!....That was last year, so I am just going to pretend that I did as well this year.}

19. Get new living room furniture.  {I have brought this up a few times to my dear hubby.  So far, no answer.  I'm thinking he thinks the little guy has not out-grown his destructo phase...which has pretty much been his whole life.}

20. Teach, by example, my kids to volunteer and think of others more. {This has not been a banner year for this one.}

21. Eat less sugar. {Or this one.}

22. Begin recycling and keep it up faithfully. {Still DONE!}

23. Relearn to play the piano well. {I have decided the easiest way to do this is to keep playing the songs my son plays as he progresses through each level. I have successfully mastered Level 2 (that was 2011)...... Unfortunate update on this one -- son has taken a 4 month break and thinks he wants to quit.  I have been showering him with articles about music lessons increasing your academic success and raising test scores.  He's pondering his next move.}

24. See Niagara Falls. {Planning for the future.}

25. Make a family recipe book. I come from a family, and married into a family, with slews of amazing cooks. It would be sad not to pretend that I like to cook and document all of their fabulous recipes.  {Haven't even thought about starting this one.}

26. Still be taking girls' weekends. {So far, so good.}

27. Lay on a beach. Since we love going to the lake, let me qualify this by saying a beach at the local reservoir does not count. I should not be able to see land on the other side of the water.  {CHECK!}

28. Write an adoption book for my son.  {Still trying to figure out the best way to do this.}

29. Have my entire wardrobe be in a single digit size for the first time since I was twelve years old.  {How many of these can I possibly blame on working on a degree??}

30. Go on a mission trip, preferably a family mission trip.  {Waiting til the boys are a bit older.}

31. Tell my kids everyday that I love them. {Unless I don't see or talk to them....}

32. Spend more time putting others before myself. {Uhhhh....ouch.}

33. Consistently do family devotions.  {I can honestly say we have done better this year.  We may not have reached "consistent", but we have improved.}

34. Visit my brother in Oregon.  {YEP!  Don't worry big brother, this list isn't the only reason we came to see you!} :-)

35. Lead a workshop at a Teacher Convention.  {Somebody please tell me why I put this one on here.}

36. Be able to run a 5K. {Not without dying.}

37. Try more food that ends with -ese....Chinese....Japanese..... {I've been to PF Changs twice, does that count?}

38. Spend an entire weekend at home without kids.  {Mom and dad....I'm gonna need your help here!}

39. Water ski for more than a minute without screaming. {First that nasty lake is going to have to clean up its blue-green algae issue.}

40. Practice saying "forty" so I don't pass out when the day arrives. {No, no, and NO!}


I'm doing pretty well!

If I were only 36.

Hmmmmph.

No comments: