Friday, April 3, 2009

The Lesser of Two Evils?


On Wednesday I took my 3 yo to the dentist. He did a great job and the cleaning was over in a flash. Then the dentist came in. He took one look in that cute little mouth and asked, "Does he sometimes suck his thumb?"

SOMETIMES? Yes, he does. The more accurate answer is that SOMETIMES he doesn't. Like when he's eating.

The dentist graciously asked if I minded if he talked to my son about it. Go ahead, I said, while I internally laughed my head off that he thought talking to him would do any good. He told my son how sucking his thumb was hurting his teeth and that he really needed to work on stopping.

It worked. No kidding, he has stopped sucking his thumb. The only time I've seen his thumb in his mouth was yesterday while he was sleeping. It was almost time for him to wake up, so I went over to his bed and slipped his thumb out of his mouth. While still asleep, without opening his eyes, he smiled a little and said in the cutest little voice, "Sorry." Then he rolled over and started snoring.

I'm too skeptical to say that this is going to last forever, but in the meantime I've been shocked and amazed at this turn of events. However, there is one little problem...okay, one big problem. The absence of thumbsucking has created an absence of something very important in his world and mine.

You got it......naps. It seems as though it is difficult to go to sleep when you've relied on the thumb for nearly three years.

Next week we are heading back to the dentist. It's time for that man to have a little talk with my child about the importance of naps.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Wow. I sucked my fingers until I was in eighth grade. My parents had to bribe me to stop with a Swatch. Take the "no naps." It won't last long, and it could save you some serious cash in the long run.