Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It's A New Year

My friend Casey stole my New Year's Post! I guess she's entitled since she actually wrote hers on Jan. 1 instead of the 6th. She mentioned the frustrating cycle of starting anew with resolutions, sticking with them for awhile, and then falling back into the same old pattern of regular life with very little accomplished toward those new ideas and goals.


That's exactly what I was thinking about this year on January 1. I'm not sure how to combat that problem without seriously lowering my expectations, but maybe that's what I need: a good dose of reality. Let's face it, I'm teaching some this year, I have a huge list of things to accomplish before Spring 2010 for my job, and I'm still trying to be a good mother to my children, a good wife to my husband, a good daughter/sister/any other title to my family, and a good friend to my friends.


So I'm toning it down a bit this year. Here are the things I REALLY want to make happen this year:

*Make it through January without forgetting my parent's anniversary (check), dad's birthday, nephew's birthday, niece's birthday, husband's birthday, mom's birthday, and sister-in-laws birthday.

*Return from the all-family vacation to Branson in June with everyone still speaking to each other.

*Potty train the little guy. Surely by Jan. 1 of 2010.........

*End the year weighing no more than I did this last summer.

*Have relatively happy, relatively healthy, relatively normal children the majority of the year. (It's all relative...)

*Make a concerted effort to unload everything from the vehicle that had been put in the vehicle during the course of the day.

That's about all I can handle at this point. Anything else that is accomplished is just a bonus.

Did I lower my expectations? Maybe. But at least the van will be clean.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

"Being a good friend" - check!