Sunday, August 25, 2013

Deep, Dark Questions from a Mother's Brain

I have always been a learner.  I like to ask questions; I like to have answers.  Research intrigues me, and the more data there is (preferably in understandable, normal people terms), the better.  If it didn't take so much time and money, I truly could be one of those life-long student types.

In my never-ending search for knowledge, I have come across a few problematic questions of motherhood...

1. How long can Scooby-Doo underwear hang on a ceiling fan light without catching on fire? 

Last week my mother-in-law brought my kids home to change into their swimsuits so they could go on an impromptu swimming outing.  Apparently part of changing into a swimsuit must include kicking off the underwear and sending it sailing as high as possible (if you are seven, anyway...). 

I am guessing grandma didn't notice this moment of time, because Scooby was still stranded on the light when we arrived home from work later that day.  Scooby was also very, very warm.  We could safely call him hot.  I have no idea if Scooby would have ever burst into flames, but the important part is that the seven year old has been firmly convinced that the house could have burned down to the ground.

2.  Why do we even buy our children beds for their rooms?

Both of my boys have perfectly good beds.  Granted, they are hand-me down, garage sale types of beds, but they are extremely functional. 

Why is it then that these children like to sleep ANYWHERE except in their beds? The living room couches, the bedroom floors, the futon, the basement, the tent outside (or inside...it doesn't really matter), the living room floors, under a table 'tent'  anywhere in the house, in tiny little forts.....you name it, they would rather be there.  I'm fully convinced they should have beds made of legos.  They could then create on a daily basis whatever type of sleeping contraption they prefer.

3.  How long REALLY is "just a second"?

I have never been a fan of "just a second" or "just a minute" as a response from my children when I ask or tell them to do something.  Yes, I realize that it is better than "No", but I have always felt like it is just a variation of not really listening. 

It seems like a good life skill to need to respond and do something when asked.    Think school...

Teacher: "You need to be in the classroom and in your seat when the bell rings."
Student: "Yeah, just a minute....I'll get there when I can."

Uh....No.

Translate that to a job and we have even bigger issues. 

However, there is a flip side (there is always a flip side when parenting).  I don't want to raise little robots who are commanded to respond without using their brain.  There are legitimate times in life when we all need to say, "May I finish this first?", or, "Just a second, I'll be there in a little bit."

So, I am doing a little experiment.  I am wondering, if they are allowed, will they always try to buy more time? And if I only ask them once, with no reminders or repeat questions, how long will it take them to obey? Will they even come at all?

Yesterday evening was the first try.  I told them to come empty the dishwasher.  I got the standard, "just a second" answer. I waited.  And waited.  Five minutes later they came, the oldest was trailed by the youngest.  I have a feeling the youngest should be very thankful the oldest actually decided to come to the kitchen.  My money would not have been on the youngest ever arriving. 

I didn't say anything, but I will keep adding up the minutes. 

A few minutes here and there is not the end of the world.

However, if we accumulate a bunch of time within a few short days, I am bound to get very creative with how they will make that time up.

No comments: