Sunday, September 1, 2013

And So It Begins

My son is in 5th grade.

This comes with all of the typical new territory...new teacher, new classroom, oldest class on the elementary side of the school, switching rooms for a few subjects, and....

BAND.

I wasn't quite sure how this would all play out for my oldest child.

For the past year, he has been talking about the possibility of picking an instrument for 5th grade band.  Sometimes he was excited; sometimes he wasn't sure.  I encouraged him to experiment with some instruments and give band a try.  I wanted him to see for himself whether or not this would be something that is "his thing".

Last year in May, the band teacher had the 4th graders try out some instruments they thought they would like.

First on his list -- trumpet.

He could not make a sound.  Not even one little peep.

Second up -- saxophone.

Not even a squeak.

Third up -- trombone.

After much huffing and puffing, he managed to play a note make a little noise.

When it was over, he was discouraged.  He said, "Mom, it just felt like I didn't have any air."

That's when it hit me.

Every year since he was 2 or 3, the pediatrician has asked him to try to blow hard enough to make a pinwheel spin around really fast.  He could never do it.  At the allergy doctor, he would always struggle to get the spirometer to go up as high as they wanted it to.

Apparently, the child has an issue with air capacity.

So, where does that leave us?



Yep, the drums.

He is not sad at all. 

The incessant noise has started. The drumsticks travel around the house with him.  Everything under our roof has developed the potential to be turned into a drum.

I had to draw the line when he started drumming with his sticks on the dining room table.  It is quite possibly the only piece of furniture we have purchased from an actual furniture store in our entire married life.

So far, it hasn't driven me crazy.  I'm happy that he likes to practice.  It's great that he wants to play all the time.

Only one thing makes me nervous.

Band doesn't even start until Wednesday.

What will it be like after that??

No comments: