Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Vacation Catch-up



Typically I post blogs about vacations a bit sooner.  Like, when we are actually ON the vacation.

I found that a bit difficult with no internet access.  My boys really think it is time for the local lakes to offer wi-fi at each campsite, because, come on, how will every body see the pictures of the really cool things that are captured on an hourly basis?

They haven't quite yet gotten to the age where they are blaming their parents (*cough*....father....*cough, cough*) for our family not having smart phones which would basically do everything they think they should have access to...........but, I digress.

Last Sunday we headed out for our week away at the local reservoir.  For several days before, I had been trying to convince my husband that it really would be easier if we had 2 vehicles on hand for the week.  We already knew we had to go back to town one day for prior commitments, and inevitably there seems to be a lot of running around for one thing or another.  And what if we had an emergency? And what if...? You get the picture.

Eventually he agreed that I could take the car.

So after packing nearly everything we owned for our week away (seriously, this was more prep work than a 12 day trip to Oregon!), we headed out.  My husband and oldest son were in the truck, pulling the camper and the jet ski.  My youngest son and I were following along nicely behind them in the car.

Fifteen minutes down the road, my low tire indicator light came on.

My heart sank.  I am sure my husband's blood pressure rose.

Two towns and three gas stations later and we still hadn't found a working air option.  Feeling fairly sure that the tire was not losing air quickly, we continued on to the lake.

Ten miles from our destination, my cell phone rang.  It was my husband.

He said, "Guess what we forgot?"

I love that question.

The grills.  Two little grills that belong to my dad. We forgot to pick them up. 

No problem…the menu for the next 5 nights only consisted of grilled brats, grilled chicken, grilled steak, grilled hamburgers, and grilled pork chops.

Ugh.
It was becoming apparent that this ‘vacation’ might be one big lesson in flexibility.

And we hadn't even actually made it to the lake yet.

No comments: