Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Revisiting the List

I turned 38 a couple of weeks ago.

Some days that makes me want to be sick.  Other days it doesn't bother me so much. 

Honestly, I don't FEEL 38.  I'm not sure what 38 is supposed to feel like, but it is crawling dangerously close to 40.   I still feel 28.  Or 32.  I am really not sure what those should "feel" like either, but those numbers sure do seem....young.  It is a very good thing that all my 40+ friends say they are great with it.  And truthfully, those same friends don't seem old to me at all. 

So, it's all good.

What is not good is my "40 before 40" list.  I just went back and counted, and I have 28 items on that list which are not accomplished.  I'm a numbers kind of girl, and frankly, that just doesn't add up well. Two years to accomplish 28 items is not exactly how I planned this would go.

From June 2012 to June 2013, I completed a grand total of TWO of the 40 goals.  Granted, one of them was pretty major, but the other one barely even counts.  Here they are.
 
16. Get my Master's Degree. 

38. Spend an entire weekend at home without kids. 

That's it.  Two.

But, the past is the past, so I am looking ahead to the future.  It's time to knock off  several more if I am going to get even close to finishing.  Here are my top priorities.  

2. Exercise faithfully. No more four weeks on, three weeks off. There is a reason no one markets that routine.
4. Read 5 classics recommended by my classic literature fanatic friend. 

5. Go snow skiing for the 2nd time. The first time was okay, but everyone says you have to go a second time to really enjoy it.
8. Develop and keep up a habit of drinking 6-8 glasses of water each day.
11. Go through the entire house, basement included, room by room, throw out junk, and organize everything.
21. Eat less sugar.
28. Write an adoption book for my son.
29. Have my entire wardrobe be in a single digit size for the first time since I was twelve years old. 
35. Lead a workshop at a Teacher Convention.  
36. Be able to run a 5K. 

See a health theme? Yeah, me too.  I started the Couch to 5K workouts, and I am now beginning Week 3.  My husband is happily accompanying me as much as he can, and the poor guy is barely getting a workout.  While I am one step away from dying, he is jogging circles around me.

Literally.  He jogs ahead, circles around, and jogs up behind me again.  It's super fun.

Really, I am thankful he is there to keep me company.  It's not his fault  that he can walk faster than I can jog.

I'm hoping to run (jog...very slowly...) my first 5K in October.  There, I said it.  Now that it is published, I will feel like I have to do it.

I am also hoping that #36 on the list will cause #2 to happen naturally, which will assist with #8, which will help me continue with #21, which will happily result in #29.  I may or may not live in a fantasy world. 

The rest of the list is either tentatively on the calendar (snow-skiing and leading a workshop), or in process (reading classics), or something I really, really want to get done soon (the adoption book and going through the house).

It's all doable -- even before Christmas (well, maybe not snow-skiing).

It's time to knock my goals down to 16!

OK, that's just depressing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go on the couch to 5! ! I never made a list. . Never thought about it..kinda late now!

kranberry216 said...

You can do it! I didn't even prepare for/train for my 5K and I ended up running TWO of them (one a warrior dash) in a month. And lived to tell about it ;)