Sunday, July 28, 2013

There Is This Little Place

Sixteen years ago I began my career at this little school in the middle of nowhere.

I will never forget the day I drove up for my interview.  I am pretty sure my exact words were, "You have got to be kidding me."  I was in awe that I had never been there and had never even heard of the school even though I only lived ten minutes away.

Yet, the very next day I was turning down a job offer from a school nearby, and canceling two interviews I had scheduled for that week.

One school gave me a mini-lecture on all that I was giving up by not taking a job which included KPERS. 

The other school said, and I quote, "Do you realize you just canceled an interview with the highest paying school district in the state of Kansas?"


I wasn't sure I had any idea what I was doing.

But I was sure hoping that God did.

During the summer, I started meeting some colleagues. I was forewarned by one of them, "Watch out. This place will suck you in and become like family."  Then two of them invited me to a Mary Kay party to be held that evening.  I should have turned around and ran for the hills at that moment.

Instead, I went and endured the facial.

A few years later, one of these ladies asked me to stand up for her in her wedding.  The other asked me to be the Godmother of her children.


Family? Yes, I think so.

The family has morphed over the years.  Some are the same.  Many are different.  Regardless, this family of colleagues has walked through the last sixteen years of my life with me.

They supported me when I was the youngest, greenest teacher at the school.
They cried with me during our many miscarriages and years of infertility.
They cheered me on during the school's first accreditation.
They celebrated with me when our first child was born.
They lifted me up through health issues.
They prayed for me through our adoption journey.
They welcomed me back after a couple of years at home.
They held me up during grad school.

They love on my kids and greet them with hugs, high fives, and, of course, candy.
They are prayer warriors.
They offer praise when praise is due.
They give constructive criticism when the time is right.
They allow weakness and a shoulder to cry on.
They are advisers, coaches, and teammates.
They are friends.

I am feeling nostalgic about a new school year on the near horizon.

I am not sure why.

It may be that I am just needing to reflect and count my blessings.

It may mean that God has something really big in store for this year that I am not aware of.

It may be that my son's continuing health issues will necessitate that I work less, or not at all.

It may mean that I simply need more sleep.

It may mean nothing at all.   

Whatever is on the horizon, I know that God is already there.

Now I just need to trust.

2 comments:

~Kristin~ said...

Dear Rhonda,
I visited more than one little school when trying to decide where the best fit for our family would be...and I had the exact same thoughts and words in my head when I pulled up. :-)
However...we loved it! And still think of our time there as wonderful! Formative years. Years that helped me on my path as well. The community was the best of schooling that I could have hoped for!!
And although God led us in a new direction...I found myself smiling thru this whole post. I mis ECS.
Praying for your new year.
Praying for you.
Praying for your little guy.

XO

~Kristin~ said...

"Miss"
Typing on a phone is a pain!