Thursday, January 6, 2011

There Must Be Something About Men and Time....

....they are too stinkin' early!!

My father leaves 40 minutes ahead of time to get to an appointment in a town 18 miles away.

My father-in-law says he'll be here at 9:00. He comes at 8:50.

My husband says, "Let's leave at 7:00". What he really means is, "If we don't leave by 7:00 we are LATE!".

Don't get me wrong, I am a bit of a time freak myself. Habitually late people raise my blood pressure slightly (I still love them anyway). But the men in my life are over the top!

Let me introduce you to our bug guy. I'm sure he prefers the title of exterminator. We live in the country, where one will find more creepy crawlers than should be allowed, and I don't particularly love living with spiders. Enter bug guy.

Literally. We let the bug guy come and go whether we are home or not. He used to work with my dad, and knows my mom from when he was an EMT delivering patients to the ER where she worked. So we have a top-secret 'how to get into the house when we are not home' system for his quarterly appointments.

Here's the thing. The bug guy always calls the night before to let us know when he is going to be in the area. It is always at that point that I remember (I should know this by now) that he is going to walk through every.square.inch of every.single.room in the house. That does not fit with my project-planning, paper-grading, kid-bathing evenings.

He told me he'd be here at 2:00 today. Perfect. My plan was to get home at 1:15 and do a quick overhaul of the house.

I ran in the door at 1:15, sent my 4 year old to clean the playroom, and flew around the house making my bed, closing my underwear drawer, picking up the boys' pajamas, putting dishes in the dishwasher, wiping down the bathroom counters....

And at 1:45 I noticed a piece of paper on the table. He had already been here. Here. Done. Gone. By 1:15.

Soooo embarrassing.

I may need to get a new bug guy.

One who understands female time.

1 comment:

~Kristin~ said...

As a habitually late arriver, I can never understand you get there early types! This post cracked me up! I hate being caught with my underwear drawer open! Gasp~Blush