Saturday, February 7, 2009

In Need of Some Humor

We are obviously way too serious at this house. Having my son in school this year has made me realize even more how literal my 6 yo is. We joke around here, we really do, but somehow this little guy has not picked up on the magic of sarcasm and humor.

During Wednesday evening church, all the kids go to the gym to play until everyone gets there and they are ready to start. This week, in all the chaos, my son got plowed into by a bigger kid. No one knows exactly what happened, but the result was my child crying hysterically because his leg hurt. Apparently, it was so bad they had to go get my husband from the room he was helping in.

No broken bones, no big bruise, but my son continued to limp for the next day or two. He was very concerned about going to school, because what in the world would he do during recess?? I assured him he would be fine and if it hurt so bad he wanted to stay in the room with his teacher, that would probably be okay too.

Thirty minutes into the school day the athletic director stepped into the kindergarten room to talk to the teacher. One of the students asked him what he was doing in their room, and he jokingly said, "I'm your sub for the day! We're going to have recess ALL DAY!!"

The kids cheered, all except one. Know what my son did? Burst into tears.

2 comments:

flute4peace said...

Aww, poor little guy!! Hope he's all back to normal now.

Carolyn said...

poor kid!