Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Potty Training Revisited

Every time I buy diapers I get inspired to start potty training. Well, inspired may not be quite the right word, more like feeling guilty that I haven't tried very hard and being irritated at all the money I am sinking into diapers.

So I check the readiness signs:

Between 18 months and 2 1/2 years of age? Yep.
Verbal ability to say when he needs to go? Uh huh.
Interest in using the potty chair? Yeah, some.
Interest in copying his big brother when he goes? Yes.
Stays dry for 2 hours at a time? I think so.
Stays dry through naps? Umm...occasionally.
Has a fairly predictable pooping routine? Yes.
Able to pull his pants up and down? Working on it.
Asks to wear big boy underwear? Sometimes.

And this morning was one of those times. Okay, I thought, I have a few days with not too much planned, I can do this. He's showing a lot of signs to be ready to do this. So, I pulled out the big boy underwear and dove in to a day of potty training.

Ten minutes later I catch my son walking to my closet. A sure sign that something odorous is about to happen or has already happened. I raced to my closet, picked him up, and ran for the bathroom, thankful that no smell had yet attacked my senses. As I was pulling down his pants to get him on the chair, I felt something wet.

What?? It had only been ten minutes.

I raced for the diapers like a drug addict races for his next hit.

I forgot to ask the most important readiness question. Is mom ready?

Nope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took two years with the first, 2days with theh second. It's much easier and more painless when EVERYONE is ready. Hang in there.