Monday, March 3, 2008

The Tooth Fairy is Working Overtime

My son lost his first tooth several weeks ago when his cousin threw Guido (from the Cars movie) down the steps and it hit him right in the mouth. After much searching, we determined that he must have swallowed the tooth. We assured him that the tooth fairy would still know he lost his tooth and would come because that wasn't his fault that the tooth would not be under his pillow.

Yesterday, we were eating at Pizza Hut when my son stopped chewing and took something out of his mouth. He, of course, handed it to me and said, "what's that?"

Sure enough, it was tooth number two. None of us even knew it was loose. He was so excited to have this tooth because just last week he got a "tooth saver" treasure chest from the dentist (who he keeps calling the tooth fairy) who came to visit at his preschool.

I should have done the responsible mom thing at that moment and wrapped it in a napkin and put it in the diaper bag. But, no, I set it right there on the table so I "wouldn't lose it." I bet I looked at it 32 times and thought, "Don't forget that."

Five minutes later we were wrapping up lunch and all of the sudden the wind starting blowing about 50 mph and torrential rain fell from the sky. All thoughts turned from the lost tooth to how in the world we were going to get out to our vehicle.

Twenty minutes later we arrived home and I noticed three missed calls on my cell phone. It was my mother, who had taken my son home with her after lunch. She had been calling me since we left the restaurant to see if I remembered the tooth.

Ugh. Of course I didn't remember the tooth. I was trying to figure out how to get to the van alive. We are now 0 for 2 on baby teeth. I'm such a good mom.

My son had pretty good faith in the tooth fairy after the first incident, but you could see his confidence wavering when he realized what we had done. I assured him when I tucked him in that I thought all would be okay, but he was still a little nervous that his money might end up at Pizza Hut.

I was right, it all turned out okay. But for those of you who are still grossed out at the the thought of his tooth laying on tables and ending up who knows where at Pizza Hut, just avoid the little room with the sliding glass doors.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I wonder what they would have said if you called asked them to save it for you? Ha!

Stephanie said...

Oh My. Leaving your own child tooth as a tip...