Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Traffic Jam Monday

I have never before been shopping on Dec. 23rd.

I do not plan to go again.

Give me Black Friday any day.

Yesterday was Traffic Jam Monday.

I'm not sure why, but I did not anticipate the Monday morning two days before Christmas to be quite so busy. It's funny how I expected more people to be at work....even though my husband and I were not.

I think the term for that would be double-standard.

What is crazy is that we weren't even Christmas shopping.  We were looking for a gift for someone who has been known to read this blog, so that is all I will say about that.

But there was definitely an electric charge in the air from those in a flurry to get last minute Christmas gifts.  Customers were getting all fired up that their engraved item might not be done and ready for pick-up before tomorrow.  And the store will only be open until 6:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve? It was as if they were hot that the store neglected to call them and ask what holiday hours would work best in their personal schedules.

Yikes.

Some of the funniest moments of the day were seeing all the men sitting in the comfy chairs scattered throughout the mall.  They looked less than thrilled to be there.

Even funnier was walking into Cabela's and seeing a bunch of women sitting on the furniture at the front of that store.  The people around me may have wondered why I was laughing out loud.

But the most obvious last minute Christmas shoppers were all the males at every jewelry store at the mall.  Seriously, the male-to-female ratio had to be 90:1.  Women across the state will be receiving well-planned, thoughtful gifts of jewelry from their significant others.

I would not be one of them.

I know this for two reasons:
1)  If my husband was buying me jewelry for Christmas, he would have researched, shopped, and purchased it weeks ago.  He's just that guy.
2)  We are impatiently waiting for our new camera to arrive on our porch on this very day.  We are like two kids on Christmas morning.  We have been checking the UPS tracking website daily (or possibly 3 times a day) since we got our shipment email.  We may not leave the couch by the window until it arrives.

I plan to tear into the box the moment it arrives.  Then I will graciously hand the manual to my husband, let him read it word-for-word, and expect him to teach me how to use it. 

Then I will probably be skeptical of something he is telling me, and read the manual word-for-word by myself.

Yep, we are nerds like that.

Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments: