Saturday, December 21, 2013

I Need a Parenting Instruction Manual


This morning my 11 year old didn't want to wait until the pancakes were ready to eat breakfast.

Since it was later than normal, and he is the kid who likes to eat the second he wakes up (which is usually 6:30 a.m.), I told him to grab some cereal to hold him over.

He grabbed the cereal, pulled the sack out of the box (which drives me crazy), ate for a bit, left the sack, left the box, and walked away from table.

This is my first born, type A, analytical, black-and-white, rule-following, justice kid. Shouldn't this personality type just naturally do the right thing?

I, being the observant parent that I am, did not see him make the mess and walk away.

His father walked into the room, and "sighed" his son's name in that parental-I-am-disgusted-right-now sigh.  And then he started to put the cereal away.

I stopped my dear hubby from doing it, and declared that our son should be the one to put it away.

The following conversation ensued:

Me: "He needs to put it away.  It's time we grow up and be responsible around here."

11 year old:  (with a big grin) "Growing up and being responsible is for adults."

Me: (without a big grin) "We are already grown up.  It's the kids' turn to learn how to be responsible."

11 year old:  "No.  We are just here to keep you company."


Oh my.

I will admit, so many comments came to mind.   They may have been along the lines of how much money it costs me to have "company"....or how a good book and a quiet house can keep me company nicely....

Regardless...one thing is obvious.

We have a lot of parenting work to do.

Right after we stop laughing about the kids being here to keep us company.

No comments: