Monday, February 13, 2012

Sitting Is So Overrated

It's official.  My child cannot sit still.

Who am I kidding?  He can't even SIT.  "Still" is a just pipe dream.

This is not a completely new revelation.  I noticed several years ago that my little guy has a little extra bounce in his step. 

My first child was not overly cuddly, but he was relaxed.  Still. Calm.  Funny how I didn't notice this at the time.

My youngest child is my cuddler.  I love this.  When he hugs he wraps his whole body around you and snuggles in.  It is wonderful. He will climb up onto a lap and read book after book just to be close to someone.

But there is always movement.  Little legs kicking, Arms flying.  Body wiggling. 

His kindergarten teacher loooovvvveeesssssss this.

I have tried.  I have literally tried to hold parts of his body still.  If I put my hand on one of his legs, some other area starts moving.  It's almost humorous.  Almost. 

Yesterday I had moved all the barstools away from the island so I could sweep and mop the floor.  When meal time came, there were still no chairs (and the floor is still not yet mopped, but that is not the point). 

I told the boys they could grab a chair.  "Could" was apparently the wrong word.  It implied a choice.  One which my little guy noticed very quickly. 

He did not want a chair.  He prefers meal time to look like this.


And this.  A little dancing in between bites never hurt anyone. 


The fewer sitting restrictions the better.  Who needs chairs?


I began to regret allowing this.  However, I was thankful that I had not yet mopped the floor. 

For some reason my father's favorite phrase came to mind..."Were you born in a barn??"


 No.....but I think he'd rather be raised in one.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I LOVE this! A tiny bit of me is sorry. Another tiny bit of me is thinkging, "welcome to the club." But the rest of me just thinks he is the coolest kid!!

Casey said...

my mom sent me this awhile back. Your kid is just ahead of the game on increasing his life expectancy!

http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/sitting-kills/