Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cake Wreck

Every now and then when I need a good laugh, I will head on over to Cake Wrecks. There is always something hilarious going on over there.  Everyone needs a good "What were they thinking??" moment in their lives.

We had one of those here today. 

Today was my little guy's 6th birthday.  He stayed home from school sick for the 3rd day in a row.

All of our plans for the day had to be changed, but I didn't want his birthday to be a total bummer, so we focused on the one thing I still had some control over. 

Food.

I stocked up on ingredients for everything he would pick as his favorites....pizza, cheeseburgers, and, of course, birthday cake.

I made his cake first thing this morning and started frosting it after breakfast.  He walked into the kitchen and asked if that was birthday cake.  I said yes, and things went downhill from there. 

This is the exact paragraph that flew out of his mouth:  "Oh good, I want a Super Mario Brothers cake.  I don't want it tall and 3D like my brother's cake was, I want it to be a flat scene.  Can you make the sky blue?  I want Mario to jump off a pipe over here and...."

I knew at that moment that I was in trouble. 

I had neglected to think about the fact that we are very close to two very talented cake decorators.  One is this little guy's aunt, and the other is his "sister" who lived with us for several months.  My children have somehow never had "just a cake". 

Uh oh....

I quickly explained that not just anybody can decorate cakes.  A few people are really good at it, but I am not one of those people.  I even told him that he could probably talk his aunt into a Super Mario Bros. cake for his party in a couple of weeks.

He looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head.

I tried to explain that I don't have the skill or the equipment to decorate cakes like these other talented ladies can.  He didn't understand that if I tried to do it, the cake would look something like this:


 When what he is used to is this....


and this.


And then I had an ingenious mom moment. 

"Honey, how would you like to decorate your own cake?  I could make almost any color of frosting you want.  And I have sprinkles!"

Thankfully, it worked.  This kid loves all things creative, so he thought this was a great idea. 

Voila!


He was very intentional and elaborate about this.

He had a definite plan.

Not getting it?  Think science....

Come on....

It's Earth.

And he was stinkin' proud of it.

But something tells me he is still going to beg for that Mario cake.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

You, my friend, have an unbelievably high tolerance for kids in the kitchen. Kudos.