Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Bug's Life

I have absolutely no idea if my child is learning anything in Kindergarten.  In the morning, he says he doesn't want to go to school.  In the afternoon, he says his day was "good".  When asked what they did during school, he doesn't remember.  

Unless I ask about recess.  Then I get some information....because that is when he goes bug hunting. OH MY.  It is out of control.

Ever since this child was a tiny baby, we have called him "Bug".  Not always, just sometimes.  It was just a fun little nickname.  Usually I use it with his name in front of it, because it just rolls off my tongue all cute-like. 

Now I am thinking this maybe wasn't such a good idea.  The level of infatuation with bugs is almost frightening.  If I had known the power of a nickname, I would have opted for something like "Genius"....

Everyday he brings home a ziploc bag that looks something like this. 


This week he has expanded his search to spiders.

This does not thrill me.

However, he is IN LOVE.  Spiders are way more fun because they spin webs right from your hand.  As demonstrated here....


And here....


Until you manhandle the spider so much that the spider keels over dead right on the spot.  This act instigates hysterical, sobbing sadness.

As demonstrated here....

1 comment:

kranberry216 said...

Elena doesn't bring bugs home, but I get what you mean about whether she's learning anything. I can't wait for conferences, because I am convinced she stares into space all morning and feels that kindergarten is so beneath her and a waste of time.