Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Memories

I love my grandma. She's 86 and still going strong. Every year of my childhood I counted down the days until I could go to Illinois and see my grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins. Now that I'm all grown up, there are certain things I "forget" about until I arrive on the scene for another visit. It doesn't take long to remember...

You know you're at grandma's when:

*The 30 minute flower garden tour begins within 5 minutes of arriving.

*You are awakened every fifteen minutes by the chiming clock that she loves so much she won't ever turn it off.

*It is completely light outside at 5:40 a.m. Afternoon bright. We are so lucky to be on this side of the time zone.

*The phone rings at 6:30 a.m. and it's not an emergency.

*You realize you should always check what might be stored in the oven before turning it on.

*The expiration dates in the refrigerator reach back to 2004.

*You are completely secluded from anything that resembles a computer or the internet.

*The house is so clean you are afraid to let your children breathe.

*The sheets, blanket, and comforter sport three different kinds of plaid.

*There are more ceramic cardinals in the house than anyone would want to try to count.

*The towels are only slightly bigger than washcloths.

*The 30 year old Candyland game is in better shape than our 5 year old one.

*You hear 50 times how special you and your kids are. That makes it all worth it!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I LOVE your list! It made me smile. It also makes me miss my Grandma very, very much.