Thursday, May 14, 2009

Last Day of Kindergarten

When I was a kid, I remember feeling like a school year lasted FOREVER. However, if I recall correctly, the summers lasted a long time as well. My friends say it only gets worse the older the kids get, but I cannot believe this school year is already coming to an end. Today was my son's last day of kindergarten, and the graduation ceremony is tonight. Hopefully, he will make it on stage and complete the entire program without tears. For both him and me.

This is a picture of him on the very first day of school in August. See those cute little baby teeth? Oh, how I mourn for those neat, straight, white, small, perfect teeth. Now I just see big ol' dollar signs every time he opens his mouth. I'm thinking the government should create 529 plans for orthodontics. Except right now I would put in $3,000 and only get back $1,800. So much for that plan.

I should have taken a picture of him this morning before school to mark the occasion. I just realized he wore that very same shirt to school today. Only now it is faded and in the much-loathed "almost too small" stage. And those shoes don't fit. And the backpack has holes in it. And, did I mention, those cute little teeth are gone?

So we say good-bye to Kindergarten. Gone are the days of being done at 11:30, of morning snacks, and of ABC verses. I am amazed at the amount of reading, math, phonics, and writing that can be accomplished in 3 short hours a day. I am proud of you, buddy! You did a great job!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow!! Time flies. I'm praying he enjoys his time tonight in whatever form that takes!

Casey said...

Congratulations, all of you, on your accomplishments this year!!!