Tuesday, February 4, 2014

SNOW DAY

I LOVE snow days. There is just something about getting a break in the middle of the week and having nowhere to go.  Not to mention the chance to sleep in.  It's every kid's dream...and the dream of several teachers as well.

This time school was canceled (along with every other school in the state) before the snow even started.  Strange, but we weren't complaining.  It meant that I could crawl into bed last night knowing I didn't have to do the 5:00 a.m. race to help determine if we should have school or not.

Instead, my husband's pager went off at 4:56 a.m.  No problem, at least I didn't have to get up.

Then the pager went off again 15 minutes later, to disregard them from the call.  No problem, except that it was on full volume and sitting in the middle of the house.  I ran for it before it woke up any kids.  Thank goodness our lightest sleeper has moved downstairs.

At this point I was still thankful that I could crawl into bed...

...until the alarm went off at 5:50 a.m.  Someone forgot to tell the alarm clock that it was a snow day.

And lo and behold, my aforementioned lightest sleeper came lumbering up the steps at 6:30 a.m.

I love sleeping in on snow days.

UGH.

By 8:30 this morning,  my boys were already singing...

The snow is so BIG,
So strong and so fluffy,
There's no way that
Tomorrow we can go to school.
YA-HOO!

It may be a long day around here.

By 9:30, the table had been extended for a huge fort, lego battles had ensued, and a game of Yahtzee  was underway.

By 10:30, we did the full snow get-up and I shoved them out the door gave them each a hug and sent them on their merry way to go sledding down the road with the neighbor boys.

This afternoon we may pretend that it is 2007 when everyone still took mandatory naps.

I am sure, however, that they would prefer 2014 where they would happily tell me to take a nap so they can kill a few more brain cells on technological devices.

I just keep reminding myself...I may be tired, but at least I am at home!

No comments: