Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Entering A New Stage

There are many stages of childhood that I enjoy immensely.  Learning to walk, learning to talk, first days of school, reading their first word, and the list goes on.

However...I have discovered recently that there are a few stages that I do not love so much.  

See this cute little boy?  See those perfect little baby teeth?

I love baby teeth. Smiles are adorable each and every time.


And then those perfect little teeth fall out.  

Or in our case, those perfect little teeth have to be pulled out to the tune of $300 to make room for those big teeth.  Big teeth that don't have enough room to fit.  Big teeth that are 5 times too big for the sweet little face they are overtaking.  Big teeth that are not as white, not as straight, and not as cute.


I do not love this stage.

"That's okay," I thought, "my little cherub still has beautiful eyes." Eyes that sparkle, eyes that dance, eyes with eyelashes so long every female is green with envy.  (It's easy to say this because he does not have my DNA.)

And then the eye doctor intervenes.  He declares a need for glasses.

And, poof, those beautiful eyes are now hidden behind Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle frames.


I do not love this stage either.

I know it sounds vain, and I do feel a little bit guilty.  He LOVES his new glasses.  He has been BEGGING for new glasses.  In fact, I gave him the look of death when he started telling the eye doctor that he couldn't see the letters on the wall.  I was sure he was doing it just so he could get glasses.

I was wrong.

I even asked if the eye exams were kid proof.  Turns out they are.

So, here we go.  Bad teeth, four eyes, and that interesting personality that seems to come along at some point in nearly every young boy's elementary years. (Don't pretend you don't know that personality. It's the one where "underwear" becomes every third word, and it is hilariously funny each and every time.)

It's a good thing I love him so stinkin' much.

My friends who have a few years on me keep reminding me..."Little kids, little problems.  Big kids, big problems."

This is not incredibly encouraging, but it does keep these non-issue issues in perspective.

In the mean time, does anyone want to bet on how many pairs of glasses we go through in the next 12 months?

UGH.

No comments: