Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Value of Time

A couple weekends ago we went on our maiden voyage with our new (to us) camper. 
 
I debated about this purchase for quite some time...the money....the time....the upkeep....not to mention, is it the "right" thing to do? There are so many good causes and ministries we could give that money to.  We need to be more diligent about saving for college.  Is this the right way to use our money?  It was a tough decision. 
 
But honestly, so far -- and by 'so far' I mean a grand total of 48 hours of camping -- it has been so worth it. 
 
The boys LOVED it.
The weather was beautiful.
We had our own space.
We spent time together.
 
There is that key word.
 
Time.
 
It seems like such a minor thing.  However, in our world of jobs, grad school, church, school for the kids, homework, chores, Fire and EMS training, and the general busyness of life, time is a precious commodity. 
 
The lake is a perfect place for our family.  No Internet, no email, no meetings, and no fire/EMS calls.  No interruptions. 
 
Just time together....playing, laughing, talking, spending time with grandparents, enjoying God's gorgeous creation, making memories.  
 
So far, so good.
 
Two happy boys after helping with set up.  
 

 
Time at the campground park...
 




...and on the boat with grandpa and grandma.
 


 
The fish were even biting (sort of...).
 


It takes a special talent to get the poles all tangled up when reeling in the fish.
 


 
The little guy loves catching fish.
His brother hides behind the "gross fish blocker" in case a fish decides to get feisty and flop around.  Heaven forbid a fish comes close to him. 
I have no idea where he gets this foolish trait from, but just so you know, I would have been right there with him if I hadn't been taking the picture.
 



And when fishing gets boring...UNO.
 


 
Thank goodness the blue-green algae ban has been lifted. 
 


 
It may have been a bit cool for jet-skiing, but they weren't going to let that stop them.  I honestly have never in my entire life seen anyone jet-ski with sweatshirts on.  This takes tacky to a whole new level.
 


 
As we were packing up to head home, I noticed the boys sitting together playing so nicely for a really long time.  I was so impressed that I ran to grab my camera to capture the moment.
 



And...then I realized what they were doing. 
Eh, what harm is there in a little sibling-roping?
 


No tears.
No hitting.
No blood.
No fighting.
 
It's all good.  I'm going to call it quality time.

No comments: