Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Old McDonald Had A Farm...

Growing up, every little girl dreams of the man she is going to marry someday. Amidst those fairy tale dreams also lie a few "I will never marry..." statements. One of mine was "I will never marry a farmer." I had several very good reasons for this proclamation -
  • A farmer's life revolves around the weather.
  • A farmer ALWAYS has something he needs to be doing.
  • There is no such thing as a steady income in farming.
  • A farmer is never home.
  • A farmer's wife should be able to (and like to) cook.
  • Marrying a farmer means a house in the country away from civilization.
  • Dirty clothes, dirty showers, dirty footprints on the kitchen floor...
  • DUST, DUST, DUST...
  • Did I mention this thing called HARVEST?

We all know God has a sense of humor. Of course, he sent me the man of my dreams...who just happened to help his dad in his spare time...farming. In all reality, it hasn't been too bad; in fact there have moments that I've even been thankful for this thing I swore I'd never do. Over the years I have learned many things about farming. The first is that every item in the list above is 100% true. The other ten I have listed below.

~A combine does not fair well when it tries to harvest a raccoon.

~The raccoon doesn't fair well either.

~It only takes the people at the grain elevator two truckloads to know they have already given you a lollipop.

~Playing in a truck full of wheat is more entertaining than a day at Worlds of Fun.

~A one-seater combine can actually hold two adults and four kids.

~If you unload the wheat truck too quickly, the entire truck will flip backwards.

~There should be a state law against wearing contacts while harvesting a wheat field.

~A child will do ANYTHING you ask if you bribe him with a tractor or combine ride.

~A skunk can run very fast when it is being chased by a combine.

~Don't get out of the van as the skunk is trying to get away from the combine...

HAPPY HARVESTING!!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I LOVE it, LOVE it, LOVE it. Still laughing about the raccoon...!

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is great! Now I feel "in touch" even if it's via a computer screen! Sad, but true! Loved your post!

Unknown said...

This is GREAT!!! And it reminds me why I didn't marry a farmer!!! I'm still laughing, and a little sad my kids may never play in a truck of wheat