Saturday, November 29, 2014

This is So Not Okay

Ten years ago this month we started building our house.  And we I say "we", I mean my husband, his father, and our builder.  Not really in that order.

From the very beginning, people told us we would probably have trouble with mice.  Apparently living in the country is strike one, and living in the middle of a wheat field is strike two. I'm sure there is a strike three that I am not aware of.

Against all odds, we have been here 4 months shy of 10 years and have not had even one mouse in the house.  Not even ONE.

Well, I take that back.  A year or so ago my husband opened the door leading into the garage, and a brave little mouse ran into the house right in between my husband's feet.  He chased that thing down, caught it, and got rid of it in less than 5 minutes.

That has been the extent of our mouse issues.

Until now.

Our youngest son came hauling up the stairs the other day insisting that he saw a mouse run behind something.  We did some searching, but came up with nothing.  He still thinks he was mistaken, but in reality we caught one that night. 

My husband discovered their little entry way near the air conditioner.  He secured it right up, but we aren't sure how large of a family moved in before we closed off their mousey door.  So now I have these lovely things.


I know that a lot of people have to deal with this, but honestly, this is a new thing for me, and it grosses me out. 

Not only that, but these critters are incredibly rude and do all of their snacking at night.  It is great fun to wake up to the sound of a loud SNAP.  Even better is when it is not a clean kill and you wake up to the mouse flailing around trying to escape.

It is in that moment when I do what any good wife would do -- wake up her husband to tell him that the mouse trap just snapped.

Three down....hopefully none to go.

Just to be clear, my youngest still does not know about this little mouse issue.  I'm pretty sure he would be turning every room upside down and inside out to find them.  Then he would want to catch them and keep them all as pets.

No thank you.

No thank you.

No thank you.

Although they are better than snakes...