Friday, June 20, 2014

Entitled

The other day I read an article about youth sports, which sparked a blog post about MAYB basketball.  Yesterday I read "9 Things We Should Get Rid of to Help Our Kids", which got me thinking about entitlement.

en·ti·tle·ment
noun \-ˈtī-təl-mənt\ : the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something
: the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)


I have struggled with this topic for many years...at least eleven years, seven months, and twenty-four days...which is when my first child was born.

Granted, my baby did not arrive with an attitude of entitlement, per se.  Complete dependency, yes.  Entitlement, no.

But it sure didn't take long. No one sets out to teach kids to be selfish; that seems to come on its own in their individual little sin natures. However, I do have to wonder if we as parents play a fairly large role in creating this sense of entitlement.  How is it that children think the world revolves around them if we have not done something to create that environment for them? I know when I look at our schedules and the responsibilities our children have (or do not have), things have not turned out quite as I had originally envisioned. They may not admit it or realize it, but they definitely feel a sense of entitlement in certain areas of their lives.

And then I realized it's not just the kids.

Today is my birthday.

Last night I was thinking about how my birthday was just going to be another regular day. Harvest is in full swing, there is a combine to fix (I, of course, will not be doing that!), and that there will be no real "birthday feel" to the day.

Then at  3:22 this morning, my son came upstairs feeling like he was going to be sick.  My first thought was, "Seriously? Happy birthday to me..."

And then it hit me.

Entitlement.

There is someone having a birthday today who does not have enough food to eat.
I have more than enough.

There is someone having a birthday today who has no place to live.
I have a house bigger than I really need.

There is someone having a birthday today who is sitting in a hospital right now hoping their child will survive.
I have two wonderful, relatively healthy children.

There is someone having a birthday today who longs to be loved by someone special.
I have an amazing husband.

There is someone having a birthday today who is grieving the loss of a parent, a sibling, or a close friend.
I have lost none of these.

And I had the nerve to sit there and be concerned about the fact that the day would have no "birthday feel" to it?

Frankly, we are entitled to nothing.

We have been given life by God to share with one another, to care for each other, and to have relationship with Him. He offered the greatest sacrifice and the greatest gift on the cross that anyone could ever offer.

I am not entitled.

I am forgiven, I am loved, I am blessed.

And as hard as it would be at the time, I would still be these things if we were faced with great crisis, as many people are on a daily basis.

May we continually think less of ourselves, more about others, and most about the One who gave us life in the first place.


No comments: